Sunday, July 8, 2012

Shimano Pedals and Bontrager RL Mountain Shoes

I decided I wanted to up grade my pedals and decided on the Shimano SPD Pedal model PD-M520 and in doing so needed to buy new shoes, I picked the Bontrager RL Mountain shoe in black.










Shimano SPD Pedal model PD-M520





 Bontrager RL Mountain shoe

First ride with both went well, the next day we rode the path behind Westwood, as we were riding back to the car, I topped the hill and decided to take a picture, the right shoe unclipped easily, and I stopped with my right foot on the ground, as I attempted to un-clip the left, it would not un-clip, I tried several times with no luck and decided to take care of it when I got back to the car, bad decision. I took my pictures and started for the car, all went well until I got to the car, I unclipped the right shoe but as I tried to unclip the left, it remained firmly attached. I was still moving forward slowly and as I struggled, I lost my balance and fell to the left, with my left foot still firmly attached I couldn't put my foot on the ground to stay upright and I crashed to the ground, striking my chest on the curve of the handle bar, severely knocking the wind out of me, I finally had my left foot free. Severe pain ensued, but I got up and sat down in the car, Judy put the bikes in the bike rack and we went home, when we got there I had a hematoma the size of a hard ball on my left chest, and it hurt like hell. We decided I should go to the ER and have it checked out, 3 hours later, I was told i didn't break any bones and I had no internal bleeding, that was my main concern due to the blood thinners I am on, that is why I had such a large lump on my chest. The ER nurse said it looked like I had a boob, I said yeah and I haven't felt a boob this firm in years.

Lesson learned, on new clip pedals, loosen the tension all the way, til you break them in, even with the tension all the way off it is still difficult to release the left shoe easily, I guess Monday I will take the bike over to the bike shop and have them look at that pedal.




Below is my chest as of this A.M., the swelling has gone down alot, but it still is tender. The lines are from the wrap they put on it to reduce the hematoma.



No comments:

Post a Comment